Is Reading Dying?

       


Image result for kid reading at a library




          Last week I took a trip to the library. As I entered the library I remembered I wanted to get a good book for my god daughter to read since I babysit her on the weekends. So I entered the children's section of the library and went to see if they had any interesting books for me to pick out. The children's section brought back memories from my childhood. I thought back to those days when I would sit on the little tables and devour one book after another. But as I looked at the little tables I didn't see kids reading books I saw them playing on computers. I saw only one girl reading a book and she was in a bean bag chair in the corner all by herself.         

          
          This really got me thinking about how much kids read nowadays and it turns out that my hypothesis was unfortunately correct. Kids don't spend time reading for fun anymore. According to Common Sense Media, only 76% read for fun one or two days a week. At first glance, this looks like a lot of kids are reading but then you think a little more carefully. The problem with that number is that many kids are assigned to read for fun from their teachers. If your teacher is assigning you to read are you reading for fun, is it really for fun?  When it comes to teens the numbers get even worse; only 33% of teens will read a book just for enjoyment. I can understand why that is happening seeing as I was a teenager literally less than a month ago. Teenagers today, are way too busy to spend time reading books for fun when they have to read their assigned reading books. Not to mention their homework, after  school activities, friends and family, and getting ready for college. These things will take so much time away from these teens that reading a book will be the last thing on their mind.
      

          I think it's really sad that kids aren't interested in reading anymore and I hope that this trend will soon end. I have a god daughter who just turned two years old and for her birthday I gave her some books for this very reason. I hope that she won't miss out on the joy of reading a really great book. Because when you have a book you can go anywhere and be anything for free.

Good books for Kids

1. Main street Series by Ann M. Martin( Ages 9-12)
Image result for ann m martin main street series

2. A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park( Ages 9-13)
Image result for a long walk to water

3. Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry by Mildred Taylor ( Ages 9-12)
Image result for roll of thunder hear my cry

4. Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary (Ages 8-11)
Image result for ramona series books


5. American Girls: Addy Series by Connie Porter (Ages 8-12)
Image result for american girl addy series


6. American Girls: Felicity Series by Valerie Tripp (Ages 8-12)

Image result for american girl felicity books
7. Drita my Homegirl by Jenny Lombard (Ages 9-12)
Image result for drita my homegirl

8. Junie B. Jones Series by Barbra Park(Ages 6-9)
Image result for Junie b. jones books

9. Daphne's Book by Mary Downing Hahn ( Ages 11-14)
Image result for Daphne's book


10. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Ages 13-17)
Image result for speak book


11. Fudge Series by Judy Blume ( Ages 8-11)
Related image

12. Matilda by Ronald Dahl ( Ages 7-11)
Image result for matilda book


13. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald ( Ages 8-12)
Image result for mrs. piggle wiggle


14. Ordinary People by Judie Guest ( Ages 14-18)
Image result for ordinary people book



15. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton ( Ages 13-17)
Image result for the outsiders book

Comments